We are happy to announce that Sonya Stoyanova Associate at Djingov, Gouginski , Kyutchukov and Velichkov took part as a speaker to the fifth annual BBBA Tax and Regilatory update, which has taken place online on two consecutive days January 25-26.2021.
The event was oriented to decision makers of companies and it has given a short overview of business related regulatory changes from top experts.
The first day theme covered the Regulatory changes in Bulgaria, the second one was related to Brexit Regulatory Changes.
UK has left the European Union and the transition period ended on 31st December 2020. As a result, all registered EU trade marks (EUTMs) are no longer be protected in the UK as of 1st January 2021. However, the UK Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO) has created a comparable UK trade mark for every registered EU trade mark.
Sonya Stoyanova has presented the topic related to post-Brexit protection of European trademarks and she drew attention to the following topics:
- EU trade marks are not be protected in the UK as of 1st January 2021.
- Instead, comparable UK trade marks have been created for every registered EU trade mark as of 1st January 2021.
- An opt-out option is provided.
- Holders of pending EU trade mark applications filed before 1st January 2021 can apply for registration of the same mark in the UK until 30th September 2021 and keep the earlier filing date of the EU trade marks application.
- Comparable UK trade mark will also be created for every international trade mark registrations designating the EU as of 1st January 2021.
- The UKIPO has introduced new rules for correspondence addresses.